[DUCATI 796] Reduce noise for stock exhausts?

Ducati bikes are generally making louder noise then any other japanese bikes. 
That's way I don't let it idle near my house. 
I came up with 3 ways to reduce the noise and they all ended up with bad result. 
Here's what happened.. 


 1st - The folded Beer Can 
The X shape tube was made from a beer can body.
I thought it would be a good one to separate the pressure of exhaust gas and hopefully reduces the noise.
But then unfortunately I was wrong.
So wrong that the beer can  broke into pieces after something between 10~20km ride.
In the meantime , these's no difference in sound measurement.

what a shocking result..






2nd - The Adjusted exhaust valve

796 and all the other Ducati models has a build-in exhaust valve in the mid-pipe.
It's originally designed to be used to reduce noise while reving up at a range of 4k RPM.
Then I disconnect the cable wire, and "PRELOAD" the valve with a zip tie, making the valve slightly closes at all time.
force the valve to be opened at a certain degree

At first, I thought the low rev performance was improved because of this adjustment, since the power is a little bit smoother in between 2~3k RPM.
Sadly it is actually quite the opposite.
Maybe the output peak of each cylinder got closer,  but the acceleration performance is also weakened.
In addition, oil temperature raises in higher rate due to this modification.
As a result, I gave up on this one.

3rd - common silencer plug

I happened to find a silencer plug on RUTEN auction site which has it's size to be what I need.
inner diameter of mid-pipe is about 42.5mm

42mm silencer is a  perfect fit
This one has a closed end (the part where I snap to in the pic)
Noise is apparently reduced while still having acceptable power performance.
But same problem, the temperature is my concern..



I also test it without the close end.
After some time thinking about it, I still remove them.
Because once I have these in the pipe, they will always be the ones to blame for raising oil temp.

FINE I give up and let it be.



Comments